There is no secret that Patty Mills has interests beyond basketball. His vision is global and his impact is growing.
- Recently, Patty spoke about his personal confrontations with systemic racism.
- He has donated the remainder of his 2019-2020 salary — over $1M — to Black Lives Matter causes.
- He spent his honeymoon launching the Community Water Project. Mills returned home to support citizens of Walgett during a drought.
- He created a Mother’s Day coffee club to support local businesses in the time of a pandemic.
- He helped raise $100K for Family Violence Prevention Services.
The list goes on.
But basically, one thing is clear — Patty Mills does amazing things.
He’s more than just a basketball player. He’s the Spurs spirit animal and a global ambassador to humanitarian causes.
My wife looked at me cross-eyed when I told her I wanted to make a pilgrimage to where Mills grew up, some of the places he has returned to spread awareness, love, and support. If Argentinians can come to San Antonio for Manu, I can make the trip watch Patty play with the Boomers.
So instead of wishing him a happy birthday, we should all be asking Patty how we can help. Every time he posts a new cause, I donate. He’s basically my Oprah.
It may not be much, but if every one of who owns an electronic device gave $5, we’d know it was supporting a great cause and we’d know it was going a long way.
Right now, Patty has helped create “We Got You,” and you can watch their virtual press conference here.
Patty, where you lead, I will follow. Please continue to show the way and shed light on parts of the world I might otherwise not see.
And happy birthday.
Welcome to the Thread. Join in the conversation, start your own discussion, and share your thoughts. This is the Spurs community, your Spurs community. Thanks for being here.
Our community guidelines apply which should remind everyone to be cool, avoid personal attacks, not to troll and to watch the language.