The game started out fast with the Spurs taking some early blows from the Warriors but still able to hang with them. Predictably, once the Spurs started to turn the ball over, the Warriors widened their lead to 14 to close out the half.
Although it looked like at times the short-handed Spurs might hang with the defending champs, they could not. Overall, turnovers and bad transition defense (the usual suspects) plagued the good guys tonight. Patty Mills led all Spurs players with 16 points and Rudy Gay chipped in 15.
The Spurs dropped their second straight game of the Rodeo Road Trip.
- DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge were out tonight.
- Jackie Moon was not available.
- Bryn Forbes and Patty Mills switched places and Mills got a rare start.
- The Warriors’ offense seeks out mismatches, as in whoever has the ball — just (fighting back tears) just go ahead and score.
- Welcome to the league: Part Deux, Lonnie Walker IV. The young man was thrown into the fire early and played 25 minutes.
- I feel like there’s two extremes of not respecting your opponent and playing tentative against your opponent. The Warriors, to be sure, are way too talented, but Gregg Popovich had to be upset about their defensive effort tonight.
Tune In Next Time:
San Antonio goes to Portland to take on the Trail Blazers tomorrow, Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 9:30 PM CDT.