This summer saw a lot of changes to the San Antonio Spurs bench this summer. First, lead assistant Mike Budenholzer accepted the Atlanta Hawks head coaching job and then after the longest head coaching search ever, Brett Brown accepted the Philadelphia 76ers job. As a result Gregg Popovich has had t overhaul his bench. They first signed former Indiana Pacers assistant Jim Boylen and Pop has promoted from within. According to the Spurs, Sean Marks has been added to the Spurs bench.
As many of you know, Marks was a member of the Spurs' 2005 title team. He later moved into the team's front office as Director of Basketball Operations and General Manager of the Austin Toros. His move to the bench makes sense considering he can be seen working out with players before games. He also is a gym rat. When I was at Summer League this past July, marks was one of the first executives in the gym and one of the last to leave. That doesn't mean anything specifically about his coaching ability, but it shows an impressive work ethic.
The Spurs also announced Brian Pauga, the team's Director of Scouting will take over as General Manager of the Toros. So look for him to take over someone's front office in a year or two. William Hardy was also promoted to Video Coordinator. Good job, Will.
More from Pounding The Rock:
- Names old, new and fake make NBA news this week
- Spurs in international action: Eurobasket 2013 - France vs. Slovenia
- Belinelli's play at Eurobasket is eerily reminiscent to Ginobili's with the Spurs
- J.R. Wilco talks Spurs future free agent targets on the Phil Naessens Show
- Spurs in international action: Eurobasket 2013 - France vs. Serbia