Finally, after two long days it is time for the Spurs to play. I can't tell you how stoked I am. I'm drinking coffee and I'm going to try really hard to not have my day go like this. We kick off Summer League play with a game against the New Orleans Hornets.
It's a 3:00 Spurs time tip. You can watch the game at NBA.com. You get all the Summer League games for $15. A small price to pay when your fearless leader has driven half way round the world to be here. I'm paying almost $15 a day for an internet connection in the Hooters Casino and Hotel.
Make sure to tell your friends, if you have any, that the Spurs are playing today. I'm not sure a lot of people know.
I have been remiss in not mentioning the two guys I have been hanging out with this week. Jordan Sams of Liberty Ballers and Frank Madden of Brew Hoop. Please go check out their stuff and show them some love. They are good guys.
Your San Antonio Spurs
Still no word on Spurnando, but I seriously doubt I will get to see him. This is who I expect our starters to be:
- PG - George Hill
- SG - Jack McClinton
- SF - Malik Hairston
- PF - DeJuan Blair
- C -Ian Mahinmi
- Bench - James Gist
The Spurs' full roster.
The Evil New Orleans Hornets
Ok, they really aren't so evil. Not their summer league team, at least. They have this year's first round pick, and 21st overall selection, Darren Collison. They are also sporting 2007 first round pick Julian Wright. Otherwise, the only guy that interests me is former Spur Anthony Tolliver. Check out the Hornets' full roster and let me know if anybody interests you.
What To Expect?
Well, a lot will depend on how long the Hornets have been practicing. I heard Paul Westphal say yesterday that the Kings had only had two days of practice. I think the Spurs have been practicing since the first of July. I will try to get that verified today. The ability to execute plays and defensive rotations is a big part of this event. Not many teams really can. Jonas Jerebko told me yesterday that he only had one practice with the Pistons team. It has to be virtually impossible to have any cohesion in that environment.
On the other hand, we have two guys who played with the team for a year or more in George Hill and Ian Mahinmi. Another guy in Malik Hairston, who was with the team some last year and played in the system in Austin the rest of the season. James Gist was with the club for last year's summer league. Eric Dawson has played with the Toros for a year. There are a lot of guys who should know what we are doing.
I expect this to be one of the most cohesive units we have seen so far.
The ATS Burning Questions
- Will George be dominant at the point? Or just really good?
- What will Jack McClinton's shot selection be like?
- It's not IF DeJuan will be a beast this game, it's how much of a beast?
- How will Ian look?
- Will G.I.S.T. make an appearance? You know what I'm talking about.
- Can Malik hit the corner 3?
Today's Other Games
- Game 2: Timberwolves vs Rockets Jonny Flynn, Corey Brewer, Oleksiy Pecherov, and Gerald Henderson are playing for the T-Wolves.
- Game 3: Thunder vs Grizzlies Russell Westbrook, James Harden, DJ White, Serge Ibaka, and Shaun Livingston for the Thunder. For the Grizzies, Hasheem Thabeet, Darrell Arthur, Hamed Haddadi, Demarre Carroll and DeJuan's fellow Panther Sam Young
- Game 4: Cavaliers vs Bucks
- Still nobody for the Cavs. Just joking, Danny Green was good yesterday. The Bucks will be keeping a close eye on Joe Alexander and Brandon Jennings
We get several new teams today. Very welcome after yesterday's repeat teams. I don't have time to preview all these new teams and what players to watch. Let's play some basketball.