I don't have much to say about the All Star Game Weekend. I watched pretty much everything and came away neither over or underwhelmed. I was satisfactorily whelmed. My top 7 moments, in no particular order:
- Damon Jones performing horribly in the 3-point shooting contest. Maybe now he'll shut up and go away.
- Scottie Pippen thinking his "team" had won that dumb shooting to contest, and proceeding to run around the court looking extremely enthused. He might as well held up a sign that said "Hey Mr. NBA GM, I still love this game!!!"
- A shot of Tim Duncan talking to Tony Parker on the bench during the game. Tony asks him what was wrong with his attempted alley-oop pass. Tim's response: "Nothing, I just can't jump... seriously."
- Wayne Newton's face. Sweet Zsa Zsa Gabor that was frightening!
- Gerald Green's first dunk off the side of the backboard. Definitely my favorite dunk of the night.
- The TNT commentators' reactions when they realized Dwight Howard put a sticker 12.5' up on the backboard.
- Mary J. Blige singing U2's "One." I got all tingly, but then again I do tingle easily.
Tonight marks the beginning of the Melvin Ely era. Of course, knowing Pop, he probably won't even suit up, and we'll get to watch Robert Horry actually make a couple shots, and he'll be able to move somewhat fluidly, and the announcers will fall over each other talking about how Horry is heating up for the playoffs, and they'll ignore the fact that maybe his rejuvenation is entirely due to the fact he had the last 5 days off.
Tonight's game is being recapped by PtR member rick2g. The contest standings on the right sidebar are current. Tonight's lines:
DEN @ SA -- SA -7 (Allen Iverson is listed as day-to-day)
PHX @ LAC -- LAC +5.5