FanPost

Bench the Big 3 for Game 6, and Diaw too

Why bench the big 3 for Game 6, when the Spurs have 2 shots to win the championship? 2 reasons.

1. the refs

2. Duncan is 37, Ginobili is 35, and Parker has a sore hamstring

1. The refs will influence game 6 in favor of the Heat. Why? To ensure a game 7 bonanza ratings for the NBA in David Stern's last year as commish. Doubt it? Remember game 6, Fakers vs Kings, when the Fakers shot 26 FT's in the 4th qtr? How about last year's game 6, Spurs vs Thunder, Spurs up 8 halfway thru the 3rd qtr when the following happens - Ginobili was called for 3 offensive fouls in the 2nd half, Duncan called for a moving pick when Fisher shoved him to the floor, Jackson getting a technical for looking at the Thunder bench, Westbrook hitting Jackson upside the head with such viciousness it looked intentional but no foul call?

2. The big 3 are old and injured. The notion that Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker can summon up enough strength to play effectively for 3 games in 5 nights has proven to be highly unlikely. 3 days off for the big 3, if necessary, would be extremely beneficial.

Let me clarify by putting percentages on my personal chances of a win.

With Big 3 = Game 5 - I gave a 75% chance, Game 6 - a 25% chance (due to poor refereeing), Game 7 - a 25% chance (due to Big 3 fatigue and exhaustion playing a 3rd game in 5 nights)

Without Big 3 in Game 6 = Game 5 - 75% chance, Game 6 - a 5% chance, Game 7 - a 75% chance (big 3 with 3 days rest, a neutrally officiated game due to all eyeballs on it for a Game 7 last game of the year, no one having beaten the Heat 2 games in a row in the past 60? games, and the Spurs being a better team)

Game 6 would have the same short 8 man rotation, but with Splitter, Bonner, Leonard, Green, and De Colo starting and Blair, Neal, McGrady as the only players off the bench. So, the Heat would still have to earn a win by expending energy.

Benching the big 3 would be unconventional and unexpected, but so is shooting more corner 3 point shots, or sending the big 3 home in the regular season instead of playing them a 4th game in 5 nights in Miami. Would Stern fine the Spurs? Not if the Spurs say Parker-hamstring, Duncan-knee, Ginobili-back.

I truly believe that a 3 day rested big 3 and Diaw would be the most beneficial course of action for the Spurs to take to secure a 5th championship banner.




This is fan-created content on PoundingtheRock.com. The opinion here is not necessarily shared by the editorial staff at Pounding the Rock.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Pounding The Rock

You must be a member of Pounding The Rock to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pounding The Rock. You should read them.

Join Pounding The Rock

You must be a member of Pounding The Rock to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pounding The Rock. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker